The MiWORC team was excited and honoured to be invited to present at a High Level Seminar and Policy Development Workshop on Labour Migration convened by the SA Department of Labour and jointly coordinated by ILO Pretoria and ILO-ITC Turin which was held in Pretoria from 9 to 14 November 2015.
These meetings are the first step toward developing, for the first time ever, a labour migration policy for South Africa. They are the result of ongoing developments at the SADC level, in particular SADC’s Employment and Labour Sector’s Action Plan on Labour Migration (2013-2015), the Labour Migration Policy Framework (LMPF) (2014) and the Protocol on Employment and Labour (2014) which caters for the protection of migrant workers in its Article 19. The SADC Labour Migration Action Plan and the LMPF request member states to develp national labour migration policies by 2019.
MiWORC has since 2012, recognised the urgent need for a labour migration policy in the country and region (see MiWORC Report #1), a finding reiterated in empirical studies on key sections (public health; domestic work; agriculture, hospitality) of the South African economy, in order to protect the rights of workers, manage migration effectively and contribute to regional development. We acknowledge and salute the momentous step of these meetings in the important process of developing a regionally responsive, rights-based and development-oriented national and regional labur migration policy and wish the Department of Labour, the Department Home Affairs and their social partners well in this difficult but necessary process.
Also see the concept note for the meetings here:
- ACMS showcased their research on informal mining as part of a Wits exhibition led by CSMI at the Mine Closure Conference at the Sandton Convention Centre, 1-3 October 2014.J anet MUNAKAMWE’s work on informal mining highlights the important yet dangerous role of informal mining in the livelihoods of migrants and the poor. See abstract: Zamazama livelihood strategies in an abandoned Johannesburg gold mine: transitioning from the informal to the formal economy: transitioning from the informal to the formal economy.
- Presentation given by Zaheera Jinnah at the SIHMA/CPLO Seminar#2 "The human cost of undocumented migration: Alternatives to irregular entry in South Africa, 30 July 2014, Cape Town.
Paradigms, Policy, and Practices: examining the current context of migration to South Africa with a special focus on lower skilled labour migrants
Seminar summary / Website
- Presentation given by Zaheera Jinnah and Janet Munakamwe at the XVIth International Sociological Association Congress, Yokohama, Japan, 13-19 July 2014:
Class, Identity and Mobilisation: a Study of Commercial Farm Workers in Mpumalanga, South Africa
R44 Panel 'Mobilising at the Margins: Comparing Informal Worker Organizing around the World'.
- Presentation given by Aurelia Segatti and Janet Munakamwe at the XVIth International Sociological Association Congress, Yokohama, Japan, 13-19 July 2014:
Mobilising Migrant Workers in the South African Post-Migrant Labour Regime: Precarity, Xenophobia and Invisibility
R44 Panel 'Building Global Worker Communities among Migrant Worker Diasporas'.
- Presentation of draft MiWORC Report N°6 presenting an econometric analysis of the Migration Module (Stats SA QLFS; Q3/2012), by Prof Christine FAUVELLE-AYMAR, Université de Tours - France, author of the report. This is the second of two reports commissioned on the analysis of the Migration Module in the final phase of MiWORC. The report provides in-depth information on the profile and position of foreign labour on the South African labour market. It is the first time these data are available in South Africa. Wednesday 11 June 2014.
- The MiWORC Team in partnership with Statistics South Africa hosted the presentation of the draft MiWORC Report N°5 on the analysis of the Migration Module (QLFS; Q3/2012) on May 13. This is the first of two reports commissioned on the analysis of the Migration Module in the final phase of MiWORC. Report N°5 provides a statistical analysis of the module’s data on key aspects of migrants’ and nationals’ labour market participation, employment, unemployment, distribution per industrial sector and geographical area. More
- A presentation on MiWORC was made on 19 March 2014 at a panel discussion on Comparative Perspectives of Reforming Regional Migrant Labour Regimes hosted by the African Centre for Migration and Society, a core partner of the DFID-funded Migrating out of Poverty consortium.The presentation can be accessed here:
- Dr Christopher Nshimbi attended and presented a paper on “International Labour Migration in the Southern African Development Community: Policy Frameworks for Regional Labour Migration Towards South Africa” at the 56th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21-24 November 2013.
- Aurelia Segatti, on behalf of ACMS / MiWORC, has been invited to attend the African Regional Conference on Population and Development, convened by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, the African Union Commission and the United Nations Population Fund in the framework of the UN review of the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development, 30 September- 02 October, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Dr Christopher Nshimbi will present a paper on "The institutional governance of migration in Southern Africa: policy frameworks for regional labour migration towards South Africa" at the 2013 International Geographical Union Kyoto Regional Conference (KRC), in Kyoto, Japan, 4-9 August 2013.
- Aurelia Segatti, Bob Deacon, Christopher Nshimbi, Lorenzo Fioramonti, Tesfalem Araia and Zaheera Jinnah presented at a consultative meeting, "Towards a Regional Strategy on Labour Migration". The meeting was organized by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Discussions were on labour standards and policies across the Southern African region, 22 - 24 August, Boksburg.
- Zaheera Jinnah and Aurelia Segatti, from ACMS presented the MiWORC programme at a meeting hosted by the UNHCR and COSATU, 30-31 July, 2013, Pretoria.
- Loren B. Landau & Aurelia Segatti presented Regional Experts Meeting for Consultation on International Migration and Development in Africa, 2nd Regional Preparation for the 2013 High Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development. The meeting was organised by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in partnership with the International Organisation for Migration and the African Union Commission. The meeting took place at the UNECA, 3-4 July 2013, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- MiWORC hosted a presentation by the Statistician General on Labour Dynamics, Mr Pali Lehohla, from the Census and quarterly labour force surveys at the African Centre for Migration & Society, Wits University, 12 June 2013.
- MiWORC hosted the first consultation meeting for MiWORC Report #1 (WP1) A region without borders? Policy frameworks for regional labour migration towards South Africa“ by L. Fioramonti & C. Nshimbi, University of Pretoria, 7 June 2013.
- Zaheera Jinnah participated in a consultation meeting with Civil Society Organizations that was organised by the European Union (EU) external action Special Representative on Human Rights. Pretoria, 24 May 2013.
- Sharon Olago attended a workshop on monitoring & evaluation, hosted at the Community Development Resource Association (CDRA), Cape Town, 14-16 May 2013.
- Pr Fioramonti presented a paper on “Regions without Borders” at the UN Protection Working Group (PWG) meeting, UNHCR, Pretoria, 8 May 2013.
- Pr Fioramonti and Dr Nshimbi attended the Planning meeting for the Seminar on Refugee and Migrant Workers in South Africa. Pretoria, 6 May 2013.
- Dr Aurelia Segatti and Miriam Di Paola of WP 3 hosted a qualitative training workshop on researching the employment of foreign workforce in the SA public health sector. Johannesburg, 24 April 2013.
- Pr B. Deacon, Professor L. Fioramonti and Dr. C. Nshimbi met with Mr. Vic Van Vuuren, Director ILO Pretoria Office, and Mr. Joni Musabayana, Deputy Director ILO, to discuss the progress of WP1 and 4, and how the research fitted within ILO advances of migrant labour within SADC and development. Pretoria, 7 March 2013.
- Dr Christopher C. Nshimbi presented some preliminary findings in WP1 at a Seminar held in the Department of Political Sciences, University of Pretoria, 5 March 2013.
- Dr Christopher C. Nshimbi held a focus group discussion with Mr Vama Jele, President, Swaziland Migrant and Mineworkers Association (SWAMMIWA), Mr Rantso Mantsi, President, Ex-Miners Association of the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho and Mr Moises Uamusse, President, Association for Mozambican Miners (AMIMO), Protea Hotel Hatfield; 17 January 2013.
- Bob Deacon gave a keynote speech at the Regional Governance of Migration and Socio-Political Rights: Institutions, Actors and Processes conference, United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) Geneva, 14 - 15 January, 2013.
- Christopher Changwe Nshimbi participated as observer and presented the concept and components of MiWORC to the SADC Technical Working Group on Labour Migration Committee in Pretoria, 6 - 7 December 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah and Christopher Changwe Nshimbi participated in the Joint Technical Sub-Committees meeting on SADC Employment and Labour Sector Programmes on invitation by the ILO in Pretoria, 5 December 2012.
- Aurelia Segatti attended an expert round table within the framework of the launch of a new World Bank initiative, KNOMAD (Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration & Development) and participated in its low-skilled migration working group in Geneva. For more information visit http://blogs.worldbank.org/peoplemove/ and http://go.worldbank.org/22403EWE80, 3 - 4 December 2012.
- Lorenzo Fioramonti and Christopher Nshimbi participated as observers and presented the concept, components and progress report on WP1 to SADC Technical Working Group on labour migration committee meetings in Pretoria, 23 November 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah and Aurelia Segatti attended the EU-SA Development Cooperation Consultation meeting hosted at the EU Delegation offices in Pretoria, 2 November 2012.
- Thami Bikitsha of the Department of Labour attended the Decent Work Country Programme meeting hosted by NEDLAC in Johannesburg, 17 October 2012.
- Christopher Nshimbi met with ILO Deputy Director in Pretoria, Joni Musabayana, to discuss the relevance of the Regional International Migration and its Impact on the South African Labour Market: Data, policies and livelihoods research project for SADC Regional Labour Migration Workshop scheduled for March 2013, 9 October 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah & Aurelia Segatti attended the NALEDI Southern African Migration Project launch workshop, NALEDI, Johannesburg, 4 - 5 October 2012.
- Lorenzo Fioramonti & Christopher Nshimbi met with ILO migration specialists, Ms Kristine Alsvik (ILO, Geneva) and Ms Christina Holmgren (ILO, Pretoria) to discuss the SADC Migration Policy Review under Work Package 1 and ILO’s partnership in the project, 25 September 2012.
- Thami Bikitsha attended a course on Employment Policy at the International Training Centre of the ILO in Italy, 17 - 29 September 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah & Aurelia Segatti attended the NALEDI Southern African Migration Project launch workshop, NALEDI, Johannesburg, 4-5 October 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah & Aurelia Segatti met with ILO migration specialists to discuss the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC) and involvement partnership with the specialist team, 28 September 2012.
- SALGA: Meeting with the Department of Home Affairs to discuss partnership in the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC), 25 September 2012.
- Aurelia Segatti presented to the Department of Labour, Labour market Division at the Preparatory meeting for DoL migration workshop, 24 July 2012
- Aurelia Segatti presented to Statistics South Africa, National Statistics System, Labour Market & Population & Health Divisions on the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC): Pretoria, 17 July 2012.
- Aurelia Segatti presented to the Department of Home Affairs, Policy Development Division, 11 July 2012.
- Aurelia Segatti presented on the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC) to Krister van Rensburg, Deputy General Secretary, Federation of Trade Unions of South Africa (FEDUSA):, Roodepoort, 27 June 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah and Aurelia Segatti presented on the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC) to Rudi Dicks, Executive Research Director, National Labour and Economic Development Institute (NALEDI) in Johannesburg, 25 June 2012.
- Zaheera Jinnah & Aurelia Segatti presented on the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC) to the Trade, Development and Cooperation Agreement-Steering Committee, DIRCO in Pretoria, 13 June 2012.
- Jo Vearey and Aurelia Segatti presented a paper, "Building regional migration governance in Southern Africa, A case study of the South African public health response", at the Regional governance of migration and social policy conference, convened by the UNESCO-UNU Chair in Regional Integration, Migration and Free Movement of People, University of Pretoria, 19-20 April 2012.
- ACMS team presented on the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC) to the Labour Market Division of the Department of Labour in Pretoria, 11 April 2012.